This publication provides a summary of vocational education and training (VET) delivered in 2016 by Australian training providers. This picture of training activity is otherwise known as 'total VET activity', to reflect that the information is now collected from all types of training providers. In this publication, information is provided on the number of training providers, students, enrolments in programs, enrolments in subjects, hours of delivery and program completions.
The accompanying technical paper, Counting students in Total VET students and courses, describes options and the method used to optimally remove duplicate student records.
This publication provides an estimate of the nature and extent of the vocational education and training (VET) delivered by Australian training providers in domestic and overseas locations in 2016. This picture of training activity is known as ‘total VET activity’ (TVA), to reflect that the information is collected from all types of training providers.
- training activity was reported by 4279 training providers, with registered training organisations accounting for nearly all training activity
- it is estimated there were 4.2 million students enrolled in VET with an Australian training provider in 2016, a 4.9% increase from an estimated 4.0 million in 2015
- the participation rate of VET students in Australia as a proportion of the Australian population aged 15—64 years is estimated at 24.2%, an increase from 23.5% in 2015
- there were 3.7 million program enrolments, a 3.8% increase from 2015
- nationally recognised training accounted for 85.2% of all program enrolments, a 2.3% decrease from 2015
- there were 30.1 million subject enrolments, a 1.7% increase from 2015
- of all subject enrolments, 47.8% were Commonwealth or state funded, a 2.8% decrease from 2015
- a total 815.9 million VET hours were delivered, a 1.2% decrease from 2015
- there were 772 900 preliminary program completions.
The latest release of Total VET students and courses 2016 published by the National Centre for Vocat… Show more