AVETMISS stands for the Australian Vocational Education and Training Management Information Statistical Standard. It is a national data standard which ensures the consistency and accuracy of vocational education and training (VET) information and covers the national VET data collections:
- the National VET Provider Collection
- the National Apprentice and Trainee Collection
- the National VET in Schools Collection
- the National VET Funding Data Collection.
In November 1990, the Australian ministers responsible for VET committed their agencies to the development and implementation of AVETMISS.
The AVETMIS Standard was developed by the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) Industry and Skills Council and its predecessors: the Data and Performance Measurement Principal Committee; the National Training Statistics Committee; the National Advisory Committee on Vocational Educational and Training Statistics; and the Australian Committee on Vocational Education and Training Statistics.
The AVETMIS Standard was first implemented in 1994. Over time, it has expanded to incorporate the various parts of the VET sector:
- 1994 — publicly funded TAFE and other government providers
- 1995 — adult and community education (ACE) providers
- 1996 — publicly funded delivery by other providers
- 1998 — National VET Financial Data Collection commenced
- 2005 — National VET in Schools Collection commenced
- 2014 — National VET Provider Collection extended to all registered training organisations
- 2014 — National VET in Schools Collection included in the AVETMIS Standard for VET Providers
- 2017 — National VET Financial Data Collection ceased
- 2017 — National VET Funding Data Collection commenced
A history of AVETMISS releases is provided in Table 1.
Table 1: AVETMISS releases
|AVETMISS||1 January 1994|
|AVETMISS||1 January 1995|
|AVETMISS||1 January 1997|
|AVETMISS for VET Providers||1 January 1999|
|AVETMISS for VET Providers||1 January 2002|
|AVETMISS for VET Providers||1 January 2003|
|AVETMISS VET Provider Collection Specifications||1 January 2007|
|AVETMISS VET Provider Collection Specifications||1 January 2012|
|AVETMISS VET Provider Collection Specifications||1 January 2014|
|AVETMISS VET Provider Collection Specifications||1 January 2018|
|AVETMISS for New Apprenticeships||1 July 1997|
|AVETMISS for New Apprenticeships||1 January 1999|
|AVETMISS for New Apprenticeships||1 January 2002|
|AVETMISS for New Apprenticeships||1 April 2004|
|AVETMISS Apprentice and Trainee Collection Specifications||1 July 2008|
|AVETMISS Apprentice and Trainee Collection Specifications||1 July 2016|
|AVETMISS for VET Financial Data||1 January 1999|
|AVETMISS for VET Financial Data||1 January 2009|
|AVETMISS for VET Financial Data||1 January 2010|
|AVETMISS for VET Funding Data||1 January 2017|
Data element definitions
The AVETMISS data element definitions apply to the VET provider and the apprentice and trainee collections and describe a set of data elements including definitions, context, rules, classification schemes and format attributes used in these collections.
The Collection specifications document applies to national VET collections administered by NCVER on behalf of the Department of Education and Training. The following collection specifications are available from the NCVER Portal:
- AVETMISS National VET Provider Collection specifications release 8.0
- AVETMISS Apprentice and Trainee Collection specifications release 7.0 publications.
- AVETMISS The Standard for VET Financial Data release 2.1
- AVETMISS VET Funding Specification release 1.0 (available February 2019)
Maintenance and agreement
Revisions to the Standards are agreed by key stakeholders representing registered training organisations and Australian governments. Recommendations to the standards are submitted to the Senior Officials Network prior to being implemented by the Australian VET sector.
The NCVER Client Support team provides assistance for queries relating to the AVETMIS Standards and the AVETMISS validation software.
National Centre for Vocational Education Research Ltd
|Telephone:||1800 649 452|