This product provides a summary of the outcomes and satisfaction of students who completed nationally recognised vocational education and training (VET) delivered by registered training organisations (RTOs) in Australia during 2020 using data collected between June and August 2021. The figures are derived from the National Student Outcomes Survey, which is an annual survey of students who completed their vocational education and training (VET) in Australia during the previous calendar year.
Historically the National Student Outcomes Survey included graduates (students who completed a qualification) and subject completers (students who completed at least one subject and left the VET system without obtaining a qualification).
To better reflect the training undertaken in the VET system, the survey has been segmented by training type, consistent with the Total VET students and courses publication, by:
- qualification completers - students who completed a training package qualification or an accredited qualification
- qualification part-completers - students who enrolled in but only completed part of a training package qualification or an accredited qualification (and are no longer undertaking that training)
- short course completers - students who completed a training package skill set or an accredited course
- short course part-completers - students who enrolled in but only completed part of a training package skill set or accredited course (and are no longer undertaking that training)
- subject(s) only completers - students who completed one or more subjects not delivered as part of a nationally recognised program and who are no longer undertaking training in the VET sector.
In total, 231 608 VET students responded to the survey.
Main reason for undertaking training
In 2021, the most common reason for undertaking training for:
- qualification completers and part-completers was ‘to get a job’, at 25.1% and 21.9% respectively
- short course completers (41.6%), short course part-completers (47.8%) and subject(s) only completers (51.3%) was ‘it was a requirement of my job’.
Improved employment status after training
In 2021 compared with 2020, higher proportions of students had an improved employment status after training. Proportions with an improved employment status after training were:
- 60.6% for qualification completers, up 4.6 percentage points from 2020
- 56.1% for qualification part-completers, up 6.4 percentage points from 2020
- 61.7% for short course completers, up 3.3 percentage points from 2020
- 65.1% for short course part-completers, up 5.7 percentage points from 2020
- 64.4% for subject(s) only completers, up 3.2 percentage points from 2020.
Satisfaction with training
In 2021, proportions of students satisfied with the training overall were:
- 89.1% for qualification completers, up 0.7 percentage points from 2020
- 79.3% for qualification part-completers, up 3.2 percentage points from 2020
- 92.6% for short course completers, down 0.7 percentage points from 2020
- 90.0% for short course part-completers, similar to 2020
- 93.1% for subject(s) only completers, up 0.9 percentage points from 2020.
Qualification completers and part-completers
Short course completers and part-completers
Subject(s) only completers
© Commonwealth of Australia, 2021
For details and exceptions visit the NCVER Portal.
This document should be attributed as NCVER 2021, VET student outcomes 2021, NCVER, Adelaide.
This work has been produced by NCVER on behalf of the Australian Government, and state and territory governments, with funding provided through the Australian Government Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
The views and opinions expressed in this document are those of NCVER and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Government or state and territory governments.
Published by NCVER, ABN 87 007 967 311
The DataBuilder provides extensive data on students’ satisfaction with training, reasons for training, and their employment and further study outcomes. Users can filter by a selection of variables (including by state or territory), view the margins of error (to determine the amount of certainty/error in survey estimates) and export their results:
DataBuilder: VET student outcomes 2021
DataBuilder: Government-funded student outcomes 2021
The figures in this product are derived from the National Student Outcomes Survey, which is an annual survey of students who completed their vocational education and training (VET) in Australia during the previous calendar year.
|VET student outcomes 2021||903.4 KB||Download|
|Terms and definitions||536.4 KB||Download|
|Technical notes||807.3 KB||Download|
|Explanatory notes||262.6 KB||Download|
|How to interpret survey results||241.1 KB||Download|
|Invitation letter||1.1 MB||Download|
|Parent letter||1.1 MB||Download|
|Privacy notice||254.7 KB||Download|
|Data dictionary||3.3 MB||Download|
|Questionnaire number map||.xlsx||149.7 KB||Download|
This product provides time series information on key measures at a national and state/territory leve… Show more
Information in this product is presented on the median income for certificate II and above qualifica… Show more
This resource presents information, in Excel format, on outcomes and satisfaction for qualification… Show more
This resource presents information on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on training, reported by s… Show more