VET student outcomes 2017 presents information from the National Student Outcomes Survey on the outcomes of students who completed their vocational education and training (VET) in Australia during 2016. The publication reports the outcomes of students in receipt of Commonwealth or state funding and those who paid for their training by other means. Summary information is presented on students’ reason for training, employment outcomes, satisfaction with training and further study outcomes. Data on the main reason for not continuing with the training are available for subject completers (student who successfully complete part of a course and then leave the VET system).
This publication supersedes previous publications on government-funded student outcomes, for which information is available in this publication and selected data products.
- 77.7% of graduates were employed after training, similar to 2016.
- 30.3% of graduates were not employed before training, up 2.1 percentage points from 2016. Of these, 47.1% were employed after training, similar to 2016.
- 86.1% of graduates were employed or enrolled in further study after training, down 0.7 percentage points from 2016.
- 84.2% of subject completers were employed after training.
- 18.2% of subject completers were not employed before training. Of these, 45.3% were employed after training.
- 86.1% of subject completers were employed or enrolled in further study after training.
Satisfaction with training
- 87.3% of graduates were satisfied with the overall quality of the training, up 1.3 percentage points from 2016.
- 90.1% of subject completers were satisfied with the overall quality of the training.
|VET student outcomes 2017||1.1 MB||Download|
|VET student outcomes 2017||.docx||710.4 KB||Download|
|Terms and definitions||114.4 KB||Download|
|Technical notes||234.1 KB||Download|
|Primary approach letter||159.5 KB||Download|
|Data dictionary: combined||2.4 MB||Download|
|Data dictionary: personal characteristics||703.7 KB||Download|
|Data dictionary: training characteristics||703.2 KB||Download|
|Data dictionary: employment and further study||672.2 KB||Download|
|Data dictionary: satisfaction outcomes||508.1 KB||Download|
|Data dictionary: benefits of training||136.0 KB||Download|
|Questionnaire map||457.4 KB||Download|
Tables from the VET student outcomes 2017 publication in Excel format.
Table in Excel format on government-funded student outcomes in 2017.
The Government-funded student outcomes data slicer is an Excel pivot table that allows users to easi… Show more
Government-funded student outcomes: time series information on key measures at a national and state… Show more
Australia’s largest survey of VET students has today revealed that graduate satisfaction with overal… Show more
This technical paper reports on the 2018 self-reported graduate model review. This statistical model… Show more