The main socio-demographic characteristics associated with being persistently not employed, in education or training (NEET) are early school leaving and having children.
This report investigates the Longitudinal Surveys of Australian Youth (LSAY) for its coverage of wellbeing questions. It is an area of considerable interest to policy-makers, and having a valid set of wellbeing questions in LSAY will enhance the capacity to investigate the links between wellbeing and other domains of interest for young people. The analysis finds three robust factors, which can be termed social wellbeing, material wellbeing and career. The three factors do not cover all the dimensions of wellbeing discussed in the literature, particularly the psychological aspects. Suggestions are made for enhancing the current list of wellbeing questions in LSAY.
This paper discusses how a 'gap-taker' can be defined, noting that gap-taking is not the same as deferral.
This study investigates where certificate I and II qualifications lead young people aged 15-24 years in terms of employment and further study. A prime motivation for young people undertaking these qualifications is to facilitate transition into the labour market. These qualifications are aimed at developing basic vocational skills or preparatory access skills. The findings indicate that certificates I and II graduates experienced reasonable employment outcomes in the 15 to 19-year-old group. However, overall, vocational and further study outcomes from certificates I and II qualifications among young people could only be described as fair. The study finds quite low rates of completing courses at certificate I and II level among young people.